Sciatic nerves branch from your lower back and down through your hips and legs. They play a vital role in connecting your spinal cord to the skin and muscles of your legs, which make movement possible. Pain that radiates along this nerve path is referred to as sciatica.
Several issues cause pain in the sciatic nerve branches, such as irritation, compression, or inflammation of the lower back, where many patients feel pain. They can feel this pain in either leg, usually only on one side of the body or the other. Specific Care Chiropractic is the best choice for Boca Raton sciatica treatment.
If you are living with sciatica pain in the Boca Raton area, our team can assess your injury and create a personalized plan for sciatica treatment that gets you on the road to recovery. Our treatment approach typically includes a combination of chiropractic adjustments and physiotherapy.
The primary telltale sign of sciatica is discomfort, pain, and stiffness you can feel from your lower lumbar (lower spine) to your buttocks and down your thigh. The pain’s intensity can vary from being a mild ache to a sharp and excruciating twinge that makes it hard to move. Sometimes the pain is only felt when coughing, sneezing, or attempting to bend down. Prolonged sitting can aggravate the pain and discomfort.
Another prominent sign of sciatica is numbness or tingling in the affected leg or foot. Muscle weakness is also common, as is feeling a mixture of pain and numbness in the same leg.
Common Causes of Sciatica
A pinched sciatic nerve is what usually causes sciatic pain. This is typically a result of a herniated spinal disc or an overgrowth of bone on your vertebrae. Sometimes the nerve can also be affected by a nearby tumor or from related damage from diseases.
You are at a higher risk for sciatica if you fall under the following criteria:
- You are between the ages of 30 and 50: Age-related changes to the spine commonly cause sciatica, although younger people can be affected as well.
- You are overweight or obese: Increased stress on your spine caused by heavier body weight can contribute to pressure and strain placed on your spine that may cause sciatica.
- Your occupation: Jobs that require you to bend, twist, pick up heavy loads, or sit for long periods can play a role in the development of sciatica.
- How active you are: Sitting for prolonged periods of time and living a more sedentary lifestyle can cause sciatica more often than if you are regularly active.
- Medical history and other conditions: Conditions like diabetes, herniated discs, degenerative disorders, and other spinal conditions can increase your risk of developing sciatica.
How Specific Care Chiropractic Administers Boca Raton Sciatica Treatment
When preventative care is not enough, treatment is the next best option. At Specific Care Chiropractic, we offer Boca Raton residents various chiropractic and physiotherapeutic options to help treat and manage sciatica pain. Some of these treatments include:
- Chiropractic care – Various manipulations of the back, legs, and shoulder help adjust the discs and vertebrae in your spine to correct and relieve pain.
- Rehabilitative care – Trains you to perform exercises that will strengthen the affected area and increase blood flow for better functionality.
- Stretching – Strengthens and eases lower back pain and stiffness.
- Massage Therapy – Helps relax the muscles in the lower back and reduces muscle spasms from occurring around the sciatic nerve, which leads to pain.
- Ultrasound Therapy – Helps treat chronic muscle pain.
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation (E-STIM) – Treats chronic pain, controls muscle spasming and reduces inflammation.
Spinal Manipulation Can Offer Sciatica Relief
Studies, such as this one published in The Spine Journal, have shown that spinal manipulation from chiropractic methods can effectively treat sciatica and other forms of mild-to-severe back pain.
Research shows these techniques have a stronger effect and more overall pain relief than other treatments. Specifically, strengthening exercises, weightlifting, stretching exercises, and manual therapies, such as massage therapy and chiropractic manipulation, have all been found helpful in treating the condition.
Common Sciatica Treatments
Medication, physical therapy, surgery, or any combination of the three can treat sciatica. Common drugs prescribed for sciatica patients are anti-inflammatories, muscles relaxants, and anti-seizure medications.
When Sciatica Is a Serious Condition
Boca Raton residents with mild sciatica may find that it will ease up and go away over time with relaxation. If your symptoms last longer than a week or worsen, it may be time to seek medical care. One of our team members can help you.
Sudden, severe back pain accompanied by muscle weakness or difficulty controlling your bowels or bladder should be a cause for concern. If you notice symptoms of sciatica after a violent injury, such as a car accident, you should seek medical care immediately.
Most people fully recover from sciatica, even without treatment. However, in severe cases, permanent nerve damage can occur. This can lead to a loss of feeling or weakness in the affected leg and a loss of bowel or bladder function. It is safe to say that the best course of action when dealing with sciatica is taking care to never cause it in the first place when possible.
How You Can Prevent Sciatica
Sciatica can be prevented, although this may not always be possible in every case. The following can play a key role in making sure your back is kept protected and in good condition:
- Exercising regularly.
- Practicing good posture when sitting.
- Using good body mechanics when standing, bending, and lifting.
- Managing your weight.
- Strengthening your core muscles (focusing on the abdomen and lower back).
- Taking periodical breaks from sitting.
- Stretching every day.
Specific Care Chiropractic Can Develop a Sciatica Treatment Plan That Works for You
Each body is different, so what may work for one person may not for the next. With an examination, our physicians at Specific Care Chiropractic can determine the best treatment plan for your sciatica. Examinations may include taking X-rays and reviewing your personal medical history.
We use a multi-step treatment plan. Sciatica is treated through several sessions, and adjustments can be made depending on personal progress, physical capability, and finances. Don’t wait – call (239) 369-9109 to make an appointment with us today for Boca Raton sciatica treatment.