Whiplash symptoms sometimes go away on their own, while more serious cases may require active treatment. If you are experiencing bothersome symptoms, or if your symptoms do not go away after a few weeks, you may want to begin seeking treatment. Chiropractic adjustments and physiotherapy can help.
Want to know more about your Davie whiplash treatment options? Call us today at (239) 369-9109. A doctor from Specific Care Chiropractic can examine you and determine which treatments may be best for your situation.
What Is a Whiplash Injury?
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) defines whiplash as “a soft tissue injury to the neck” often occurring “because of sudden extension and flexion.”
In layman’s terms, if your neck is suddenly thrown back and forth at a high speed, you could experience the symptoms associated with whiplash, including:
In more serious cases, you may experience additional symptoms, like changes in mood, memory problems, sleeping problems, and fatigue.
The most common whiplash causes are car accidents when the sudden impact can drive your neck forward and backward, and sports injuries, where the force of a tackle or other sudden, violent movement can cause whiplash.
What Treatments Are Available for Whiplash?
As NINDS states, whiplash is a very treatable condition, and most patients recover completely in a few weeks or months. You could help your body heal and prevent more serious symptoms by promptly seeking chiropractic care.
Every case is different, so every whiplash patient who comes into Specific Care Chiropractic receives their own, individualized treatment plan. Your plan may include:
Sometimes, the trauma of the incident that caused the whiplash can knock the vertebrae in your neck out of alignment. Our doctors can move your neck in ways that would realign the vertebrae, reducing and eliminating the pain caused by a compressed nerve or a crooked spine.
Physiotherapy is an umbrella term for various treatments that both relieve pain and improve your body’s ability to heal from an injury. We offer several kinds of physiotherapy for your benefit, including:
- Massage therapy: a soft tissue massage to relax the muscles and improve neck flexibility
- Ultrasound therapy: a therapy where soundwaves are sent into the affected tissue to promote more effective healing
- Stretching: this can improve the range of motion in a stiff neck and gently relieve pain
- Exercising: special movements that can strengthen neck muscles that were damaged or that have atrophied after not being used due to pain or stiffness
How Does Specific Care Chiropractic Treat Whiplash?
We provide each patient with personalized care, not a generic treatment plan that does not account for their individual needs and preferences. To do this, we can:
- Schedule an appointment with you as soon as possible at the office of your choice (we have four offices throughout South Florida)
- Have an in-depth discussion about your symptoms
- Order x-rays, MRIs, and any other test that may help us provide a concrete, accurate diagnosis
- Make a diagnosis and talk to you about what it means for your treatment options and future
- Provide you with the information you need to make an intelligent decision about what treatment you want to undergo
- Discuss the payment options available for your chosen treatment
- Provide your preferred treatment in a compassionate, professional setting
- Update you on your treatment progress
- Address any concerns you have at any point in the treatment process
- Work with your other healthcare providers if you need more than chiropractic care for your whiplash
Remember that your Davie whiplash treatment regimen is ultimately in your hands. We are always happy to guide patients through the process and advise them of the available options, but you get to decide what treatment you want and when to start.
How Long Does Davie Whiplash Treatment Last?
That depends on:
- How serious the injury is
- How serious your symptoms are
- How long it takes for you to reach maximum medical improvement (MMI)
MMI is the point at which treatment stops helping you: you have gone as far as you can with that treatment, and continuing will produce no further benefits. This may be because you are fully healed or because there is nothing else chiropractic care can do for you.
Some people reach MMI after a single session with Specific Care Chiropractic—for example, they may come in, learn some exercises and stretches, and go home. Those with more severe whiplash may end up coming in several times. We can provide as much or as little treatment as you require.
What if a Car Accident Caused Your Whiplash?
Car accidents are one of the most common causes of whiplash. If this is the case for you, the other driver may owe you compensation for your medical care, pain and suffering, and other losses.
Making an appointment with us directly after your car accident may make it easier for you to receive compensation from the person who caused the collision. Your medical record will show you sought treatment right after the accident, establishing a connection between that event and your neck injury.
How to Seek Compensation
You or your lawyer can send a demand letter to the at-fault party’s insurance company, asking for compensation. If they agree to pay, you could get your money relatively quickly. If not, you may have to negotiate for a settlement or take your case to court.
We would be happy to cooperate with you and your legal team if you decide to pursue compensation via legal action. We can send along your medical records to your attorney, and we can write a statement detailing our findings and opinions regarding your injury.
Suffering From Whiplash? Call Today!
Specific Care Chiropractic believes in providing every patient with the right kind of care. If you are seeking treatment for your whiplash injury, call us at (239) 369-9109 and make an appointment. Our team is proud to serve patients from Davie and across South Florida.